Single Board Computer Recommendations

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 09:56:33 MDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:

> They cost $10 each and only control a single valve. So I would need to
> spend $80 to control 8 valves, and power each module individually.
>
> Or for $50 I could buy one of these instead:
>
>    http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4757839
>
> They are wireless, so that's an advantage right? I think at $5 each, I
> would consider the X10 modules. Am I missing something?

That doesn't look wireless to me.  And, if you're using a
microcontroller instead of a regular CPU, you've probably got a bunch
of I/O pins you can drive relay circuits with so you don't have to use
a silly USB-to-Serial interface and another microcontroller to decode
the serial commands.  The relays, transitors, LEDs, diodes, and
resistors on that relay board can't cost more than $20 or so, and the
circuit to control them would be well within the reach of a beginning
electronics project.

        --Levi