Single Board Computer Recommendations

Dave Smith dave at
Tue Mar 16 09:43:42 MDT 2010

Kevin Crandell wrote:
> I don't know the specifics of your sprinkler control project, but you've
> probably heard of x10.  They have a Universal Module that will allow
> your computer to control your sprinklers through commands sent to your
> serial or usb port.  They're pretty cheap.

They cost $10 each and only control a single valve. So I would need to
spend $80 to control 8 valves, and power each module individually.

Or for $50 I could buy one of these instead:

They are wireless, so that's an advantage right? I think at $5 each, I
would consider the X10 modules. Am I missing something?