Single Board Computer Recommendations

Dallin Jones squitoey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 21:03:57 MDT 2010

On Mar 15, 2010, at 2:55 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:

I'm motivated to work on my sprinkler control project again, and I'm
looking at boards to run the software, which I want to be Linux based.

Here are my requirements so far:

1. Price: Under $100
2. I/O: USB and Ethernet (wifi for bonus points, and serial for debug)
3. Power: DC input, not too worried about power consumption
    (24V would be nice since that's the same voltage my
     sprinkler valves use).
4. Disk: Whatever flashy thing is fine (SD, CF, soldered, whatever)
5. Size and weight don't matter right now (but will in the future).

Here's what I've found so far:

1. Gumstix Linux (too expensive)
2. Beagleboard (too much I/O -- don't need DVI, S-Video, Audio, etc).
3. A repurposed wifi AP board[1]

Any other ideas? The cheaper the better, and I'm not afraid to solder.

Sounds like you should look into the RouterStationPro. It has a USB port, an
sdio port (for sd cards), three mini pci slots (usually for wireless
radios), a serial port, 4 gig Ethernet ports, one of which is a POE port.
The DC plug can ran anywhere from 12vdc to 48vdc depending on how much power
you need. The best part is that msrp is 79.99. It also comes with OpenWRT
preinstalled. Also in has a 600 MHz processor and 128Mb of ram. Should be
enough for a lot of projects.

I just got one to build a small transparent filtering proxy. They are pretty
slick.

Dallin