Single Board Computer Recommendations

Dave Smith dave at
Mon Mar 15 14:55:38 MDT 2010

I'm motivated to work on my sprinkler control project again, and I'm
looking at boards to run the software, which I want to be Linux based.

Here are my requirements so far:

1. Price: Under $100
2. I/O: USB and Ethernet (wifi for bonus points, and serial for debug)
3. Power: DC input, not too worried about power consumption
     (24V would be nice since that's the same voltage my
      sprinkler valves use).
4. Disk: Whatever flashy thing is fine (SD, CF, soldered, whatever)
5. Size and weight don't matter right now (but will in the future).

Here's what I've found so far:

1. Gumstix Linux (too expensive)
2. Beagleboard (too much I/O -- don't need DVI, S-Video, Audio, etc).
3. A repurposed wifi AP board[1]

Any other ideas? The cheaper the better, and I'm not afraid to solder.