mythtv vs. comcast

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 12:04:22 MDT 2010

Brad Midgley wrote:
> Hey
>
> Is anyone else trying to get mythtv to play nice with unencrypted comcast?
>
> I found I could no longer do nondestructive scans after upgrading to
> mythtv 0.22. As a result I'm slowly losing channels as comcast shuffles
> their channels around.

After my last full scan yesterday with MythTV and my HDHomerun I now
have pretty much everything showing up in digital.  I just did a
completely new scan.  Took me a while to get the channels all set right
with the callsigns and stuff manually.  That turned out to not be too
hard since mythtv assigned channel numbers that were already mostly
right, so I just used my schedules direct info to manually set
callsigns.  I have about 80% of the channels now showing up properly in
the program guide.

> See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Comcast_Users_And_scte65scan

This is very good information.  Thanks.  I'll have to try it and see
about getting the rest of my channels set properly.

> I'm using plain ubuntu 9.10, maybe I need to finally transition to mythbuntu.

I don't see how Mythbuntu is going to be different than your 9.10 with
mythtv installed.

I'm not totally sure if Comcast intends to continue offering all their
SD channels unencrypted.  I have a feeling they intend to encrypt all
non-local channels (which by law they cannot encrypt), requiring the use
of their digital-analog converter box, or requiring you to pay for the
pull digital package.