Comcast Fiber to the Node

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Mar 9 13:33:09 MST 2010

Joe C wrote:
> Sorry but the FCC likes to stick its nose in where it doesn't belong
> making the telco industry not 100% deregulated. If you don't know what
> I mean I'm referring to the fact that Qwest & other phone companies
> are required to allow other carriers to use their lines for less than
> cost. If that isn't regulation I don't know what is. I believe that is
> part of why they were able to offer the 5 cent per minuter long
> distance at that time.

The tariffed rates that Qwest and other ILECs charge to CLECs are not
simply made up, but they are rigorously inspected by the FCC. Often they
are a percentage discount on the retail rate.

What's really so surprising about offering wholesale rates to wholesale
partners? Best Buy doesn't pay retail prices to Sony for Playstations.
The only difference is that there's competition between Sony and
Nintendo, and between Best Buy and Walmart. The Bells were split up to
try to create some of that and the FCC tries to make sure it works well.
You're certainly welcome to whatever opinion you want about how *well*
it's working.

But would you really want to go back to the pre-1984 days when Ma Bell
owned the lines and the phones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e3dTOJi0o

Corey

full disclosure: I work for a CLEC