Comcast Fiber to the Node

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 13:18:12 MST 2010

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 12:59 -0700, Corey Edwards wrote:
>> There are reasons for maintaining a POTS line, despite the reliability
>> of the 911 system. Mainly they hinge on your ability to get the call to
>> your provider in the first place. If your PBX goes belly up. If your
>> power goes out and you don't have a UPS. If you hose your dialplan. If a
>> dog chews through your ethernet cable (quite tasty I hear). If those are
>> valid concerns for you, by all means hang onto a land line.
>
> What if my only concern is plausible reliability? Do I still need a POTS
> line?

I haven't had a land line in nearly 8 years.  I just had a cell phone
for most of that time and now VoIP plus the cell phone.  Of course I
haven't had an emergency where I had to dial 911 in that time, so I
cannot really say if that is sufficient.

I recognize that in an emergency cell towers will likely be overwhelmed
or down anyway, so just my cell phone may not work so well, or the
battery will die, etc.  But if a disaster of that magnitude were to
strike, I would think the 911 call centers would be overwhelmed as well.

The emergency that has the highest chance of occurring to most of us is
probably something happening while traveling in a car.  Neither a land
line nor VoIP is that useful in those circumstances.  So I have to
depend on the reliability of the cell companies.  And as we've
established 911 in that case works pretty well.

For other situations, my ham radio (with a supply of alkaline batteries)
will hopefully be of some use.