Comcast Fiber to the Node

Joe C v2joecr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 20:41:09 MST 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Robert Merrill <robertmerrill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2010 12:46 PM, "Ryan Simpkins" <plug at ryansimpkins.com> wrote:
>
> When Qwest finally dies, and we are left with Comcast only - how do you
> regulate them? Does this eventually move us to deregulated telcos?
>
> Um, Telecom is already deregulated:
> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_Act_of_1996
> If it wasn't, Comcast wouldn't even be in the market for phone service at
> all. Pure capitalism (deregulation) caused all-out war between the
> long-distance companies in the late 90s.  Remember the 5cents/minute
> long-distance plans? All that market efficiency almost caused them to kill
> themselves all off.
>
> It is better this way, overall.

Sorry but the FCC likes to stick its nose in where it doesn't belong
making the telco industry not 100% deregulated. If you don't know what
I mean I'm referring to the fact that Qwest & other phone companies
are required to allow other carriers to use their lines for less than
cost. If that isn't regulation I don't know what is. I believe that is
part of why they were able to offer the 5 cent per minuter long
distance at that time.