OT:E911 location info [was: Comcast Fiber to the Node]

David Turley davitur at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 18:39:57 MST 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used the article to back up my claim, not as research. When I was
> selling cell phones for AT&T, Sprint and Cricket back in 2001-2004, we
> as salesman became aware of this "feature". We were told that they were
> indeed GPS chips pinpointing location of the phone, rather than just
> cell tower triangulation, and even went to sales training about the new
> proposed FCC regulation.

Well, in your defense - the carriers you list above probably do have
GPS units in the majority of contract phones sold.  Verizon, Sprint,
and Cricket are CDMA networks...and would more likely use GPS to
comply with the law.  Furthermore AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon are
considered "premium" networks so they would most likely have built-in
GPS "feature" to sell with the phone (or offer as an service upgrade).

I was just objecting to the "all phones" statement.  :)

Later,
Dave