OT:E911 location info [was: Comcast Fiber to the Node]

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 18:26:42 MST 2010

Aaron Toponce wrote:
> If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but this is what I recall from those training
> sessions and the info we were getting at the time.

So, I'm trying to find more info on the FCC site and elsewhere to
validate my claim that all cell phones have minimal GPS chips built-in,
but I can't find anything, so I'm probably full of hot air. However, I
found this:

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs2b-cellprivacy.htm#5

Best I can do. Doesn't say every phone requires a GPS chip, but it does
mention the E911 minimal location radius accuracy required by the
service provider, whether thy utilize GPS, WiFi or triangulation.

Interesting nonetheless. I must say, however, that when I dialed in that
call about the flipped car, I never told the 911 operator my location.
She had the information from the connection.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O