OT:E911 location info [was: Comcast Fiber to the Node]

David Turley davitur at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 18:01:04 MST 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce at gmail.com> wrote:

> As per 2005, all cell phones manufactured after Dec 31, 2005 have GPS
> chips as a federal regulation [1]. Calling 911 on your mobile, will give
> the responder a pinpoint position to your location.

I think you may be over-reading this article.  Location capable != GPS
in all cases.  I have a GSM Nokia phone that was manufactured in '08
and it does not have a GPS chip in it.  It is locatable, however.  GPS
chips and antennas add an unnecessary expense to some phones.  Most
GSM providers can use tower triangulation to get this information.
Most likely if your phone does have a GPS, then there is an App or
service available for your phone to be a PND.  If they (manufacturer)
are going to add it to the phone, then they are going to sell it as a
"feature" and get more money from you for it.

Later,
Dave