Comcast Fiber to the Node

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 17:26:03 MST 2010

Michael Torrie wrote:
> As for cell phones go, don't the phone companies send position info to
> the 911 centers?

As per 2005, all cell phones manufactured after Dec 31, 2005 have GPS
chips as a federal regulation [1]. Calling 911 on your mobile, will give
the responder a pinpoint position to your location.

I've personally experienced this, where I saw a car flip off the
highway, and I pulled over, calling 911 immediately. The 911 service was
able to get my exact location, and an ambulance and police were there in
about 5 minutes.

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_911#Wireless_Enhanced_911

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .