Comcast Fiber to the Node

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Mar 8 17:20:04 MST 2010

Michael Torrie wrote:
> Doran L. Barton wrote:
>> You know... when Qwest "dies" and we're left with Comcast for suckers who
>> think Comcast's phone service is a landline (it's not. It's VOIP), well, I
>> don't really think it'll be a problem.
>>
>> I don't think Qwest is gonna die anytime soon specifically for that reason. For
>> instance, no VOIP service can deliver 911 service as effectively as a real POTS
>> landline. Not yet, anyway. That's something to consider if you're thinking
>> about switching away from Qwest telephone service to VOIP or just cell phones.
>> It can literally add minutes to the time until an ambulance or EMT arrives at
>> your location.
>
> One of my VoIP providers has you register a physical address with your
> phone number which should make response to 911 calls about the same as
> normal land lines.
>
> As for cell phones go, don't the phone companies send position info to
> the 911 centers?

If the 911 PSAP supports E911. Well, it's a little more complicated than
that. Your carrier will register your phone number and physical address
in a database. When the call goes to 911, your carrier sends your phone
number along with it. The PSAP then looks up your phone number in the
aforementioned database to retrieve your name. This happens regardless
of whether the call came in via cell, voip, landline, etc. Cell phones
also send GPS/location data somehow but I only know the voip side of this.

At one point 911 for voip was a mess, and it's still no picnic from the
carrier's end, but it is reliable for the user (as long as you can make
a call, of course).

Corey