Comcast Fiber to the Node

Doran L. Barton fozz at hypermoo.com
Mon Mar 8 16:08:00 MST 2010

On Monday 08 March 2010, Robert Merrill proclaimed:
> When Qwest finally dies, and we are left with Comcast only - how do you
> regulate them? Does this eventually move us to deregulated telcos?

You know... when Qwest "dies" and we're left with Comcast for suckers who
think Comcast's phone service is a landline (it's not. It's VOIP), well, I
don't really think it'll be a problem.

I don't think Qwest is gonna die anytime soon specifically for that reason. For
instance, no VOIP service can deliver 911 service as effectively as a real POTS
landline. Not yet, anyway. That's something to consider if you're thinking
about switching away from Qwest telephone service to VOIP or just cell phones.
It can literally add minutes to the time until an ambulance or EMT arrives at
your location.

--
Doran L. Barton - Hypermoo Inc. - <fozz at hypermoo.com> - 801-520-9875
Open source consulting, custom development, systems/network administration