Comcast Fiber to the Node

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Mon Mar 8 00:26:25 MST 2010

Though currently fashionable, the economic theory of a corporation you espouse is not the only rational point of view. Yet you act like it is a natural law that cannot be violated. Other economists have proposed equally defensible theories.

How corporations are expected to act is determined by one's culture. Different cultures expect corporations to act differently. It is sad that so many members of our culture equate making money with moral duty. I for one expect businesses (and people) to fulfill their duty to the larger social good in addition to making a healthy profit.

I recently read valuable advice given to a group of lawyers:

"There is a great risk in justifying what we do individually and professionally on the basis of what is ‘legal’ rather than what is ‘right.’ . . . The philosophy that what is legal is also right will rob us of what is highest and best in our nature. What conduct is actually legal is, in many instances, way below the standards of a civilized society . . . If you accept what is legal as your standard of personal or professional conduct, you will deny yourself of that which is truly noble in your personal dignity and worth."
("Be Healers," Clark Memorandum, spring 2003, 3. I edit the quote to have a more civic tone than a religious tone--the practicality of the advice is unchanged.)

Good advice in many disciplines.

Richard

On Sun 7 March 2010 12:46:17 "Ryan Simpkins" <plug at ryansimpkins.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Yet, that is the ONLY option for a corporation. To push as many competitors
> out of the market as possible while not catching the attention of the DOJ
> (except for every now and then). It is also expected that a corp will use as
> many dirty tricks legally allowed as possible. The revenue/profit has to grow
> each quarter, and as much as possible.
<snip>