Comcast Fiber to the Node

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Fri Mar 5 19:36:53 MST 2010

Ryan Simpkins wrote:
> Is anyone on the list using Comcast's fiber to the node? They are claiming you
> can get up to 50Mbps down, and 16Mbps up. They will be pulling the fiber down
> to each subscriber in our neighborhood next week, and a lot of people we know
> have signed up. I've been asked if it is any good. I'm curious if anyone is
> currently using it.

pulling fiber to each subscriber? isn't that fiber to the home and not
fiber to the node? i'm surprised to hear that comcast is pulling fiber
to the home.
> Welcome to capitalism. Very good play by Comcast. This offering sounds like it
> will make Qwest have to work even harder to make their FTTN offering viable
> (good luck Qwest, you're in big trouble!). The average consumer won't know how
> this works, and will be glad to sign up.

i guess welcome to capitalism until it drives all other options out of
the market. :( that is probably just my usual skepticism of the big
telcos (yeah, i consider them a telco now) and their usually underhanded
practices.

mike