building a router/firewall

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Thu Mar 4 13:38:33 MST 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Joe C <v2joecr at gmail.com> wrote:

> One small problem with that distro for the computer I'm supposed to do
> this with. it is only "Intel Pentium 3 733 Mhz, 512 MB RAM" which
> doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for 1-50 computers which is
> the range we are at right now.

Pshaw. Really?
A little Pentium 166 w/32MB ram can easily handle being a router for
over 100 clients.
A P3 733 is _overkill_ for this, really.

> For those suggesting openWRT & DD-WRT I can't stand the idea of
> wasting that much HDD space. I'd rather run a full OS so I can have
> more features if I need to install one.

You can use all of your hdd space with openwrt, no problem. It just
isn't all _needed_.
It is a full linux kernel and distro, and it has a pretty
comprehensive package repository--databases, web servers, samba, even
asterisk... you name it, it's probably in there (minus games, and
desktop environments most likely).