software raid auto assembly problem on Xen host

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 17:07:10 MST 2010

Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Right.  Since RAID stuff is in a module, the kernel parem doesn't do
>> anything.
>
> So you'll need to edit the module parameters. modprobe.conf (or
> equivalent for RH) is probably where you do that. Since it's in the
> initrd, you may have to do it there. (Kind of a pain, I know.)

Yeah. I'm going to try to avoid doing this for now, since having to
manually create the initrd after every kernel upgrade is not something
we want to do on our production servers, for the sake of maintainability.

I'm thinking about writing a safety init script that will disassemble
all md's before the xen stuff loads.  Even if I find a way to properly
do the homehost stuff, this will add a layer of safety.