building a router/firewall

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Mar 3 15:27:30 MST 2010

Joe C wrote:
> I've been assigned with the task of make the following computer as a
> router, preferably with a web interface to configure it.
>
> It has the following hardware three NICs, Intel Pentium 3 733 Mhz, 512 MB RAM.
>
> Google isn't being very helpful. I'm guessing my search terms are just
> wrong as it keeps sending me to stuff that is for hardware routers
> (like the linksys Linux router) instead of full computers.
>
> I need a DHCP server, internal DNS, our connection is a dedicated IP
> address, I also want to assign the external DNS servers to openDNS
> instead of our ISP's, & a firewall obviously.
>
> I can't think of anything else that we need it to do.

Just about any Linux distro (Redhat, Ubuntu, etc.) can be a router if
you set it up that way. If you don't need the Linux box to do anything
else, I would look at one of the distros specifically designed as a
router. This seems to be a pretty good list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_distributions

Personally I run openwrt on a Linksys, but I've heard good things about
pfSense, M0n0Wall, SmoothWall and Vyatta.

Corey