building a router/firewall

Doran L. "Fozz" Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Wed Mar 3 15:26:23 MST 2010

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Joe C proclaimed:
> I've been assigned with the task of make the following computer as a
> router, preferably with a web interface to configure it.
>
> It has the following hardware three NICs, Intel Pentium 3 733 Mhz, 512 MB
> RAM.

I'd just throw your favorite distribution on it. If it were me I'd throw
CentOS on there with Shorewall, dhcpd, named, and whatever else you might
need. Shorewall doesn't feature a web-based UI, but the text files are so
straightforward and the sample configuration files for a 2-interface or 3-
interface system will let you hit the road running.

You may also want to check out Smoothwall: http://www.smoothwall.org/

--
fozz at iodynamics.com is Doran L. "Fozz" Barton
 "Ladies may have a fit upstairs."