building a router/firewall

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Wed Mar 3 15:24:28 MST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Joe C <v2joecr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been assigned with the task of make the following computer as a
> router, preferably with a web interface to configure it.
>
> It has the following hardware three NICs, Intel Pentium 3 733 Mhz, 512 MB RAM.
>
> Google isn't being very helpful. I'm guessing my search terms are just
> wrong as it keeps sending me to stuff that is for hardware routers
> (like the linksys Linux router) instead of full computers.
>
> I need a DHCP server, internal DNS, our connection is a dedicated IP
> address, I also want to assign the external DNS servers to openDNS
> instead of our ISP's, & a firewall obviously.
>
> I can't think of anything else that we need it to do.

So, what exactly, is your question?

You can put any linux distro on there and do all of that.
You can even use openwrt on a regular x86 box, not just embedded routers.
Gentoo has the GNAP project:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/gnap.xml
There are several other micro distributions geared towards doing this as well.

dhcpd, djbdns, and iptables are about all you need, it sounds like.