Updating OpenSuSE

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Mon Mar 1 09:26:28 MST 2010

I have inherited an OpenSuSE box and I want to update it using the
command line. As odd as this may sound, I can't seem to figure it out,
and Google is just polluted with lame "Cool Solutions" articles that
don't really help. I *did* manage to install a package (logwatch) from
the online repository using yast --install, but now I want to update all
my packages. How do I do that?

Just for clarity, this is what I would do on Debian/Ubuntu:

    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

And on Fedora:

    yum update

What is the OpenSuSE equivalent?

Also, what is the equivalent of /etc/redhat-release in OpenSuSE?

Thanks!

--Dave