Ideas for March Meeting: Linux CLI Basics?

Jason B. Archibald jbarchibald at
Mon Mar 1 08:43:42 MST 2010

I don't reply to this list very often, but you sparked my interest.

I don't really use Linux as part of my professional career,  (not yet
it is more of a hobby that I like to just play with.

Since I work in IT and obviously subscribe to this list, I feel I know some
of the basics.
(at least enough to break things really well )

I would really be interested in some discussions around debugging
Maybe where you typically find configuration options for various
applications etc.

Just some thoughts

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Ryan Simpkins <plug at>wrote:

> There seems to be some interest for a meeting topic that would be more
> suitable for beginners. Perhaps something like an introduction to the CLI,
> or
> basic desktop troubleshooting, etc. Is there anyone on the list interested
> in
> such a topic? Does anyone know of someone who might come to such a meeting?
> The feedback I've gotten is that it might be nice to do something
> ultra-basic,
> with a lot of examples. This is a summary of questions we could try to
> answer:
> -What is a shell?
> -How do I navigate?
> -I've only used windows, I'm lost. Help?
> -How do I fix stuff when it breaks?
> -Where and how do I find help?
> If you have any other ideas for topics, I'd love to hear them.
> -Ryan
> /*
> PLUG:, #utah on
> Unsubscribe: