Yes, we have no hibernate today

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Mon Jun 28 08:25:09 MDT 2010

<quote name="Charles Curley" date="Thu, 24 Jun 2010 at 08:57 -0600">
> Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-22-generic
> cryptsetup: WARNING: found more than one resume device candidate:
>                      /dev/mapper/cryptswap1
>                      /dev/sda6
>                      UUID=20dc692f-2a20-4799-83ec-e0fb6ac69d71
> cryptsetup: WARNING: target cryptswap1 has a random key, skipped
>

> Actually they are all the same device, but the software wouldn't
> necessarily know that.

They are the same underlying device, but they are not the same.
/dev/mapper/cryptswap1 has a layer of encryption ontop of it. /dev/sda6
does not. If you really want cryptswap, you probably also want to
hibernate encrypted, too. Otherwise, your memory gets dumped unencrypted
on hybernate, which is even worse than your swap not being encrypted.

I don't think there would be a problem with hybernating on a crypted
swap, it is the initrd that sets up the encryption layer, is it not?
Sounds like you might need to do a non-random key though.

Von Fugal
--
Don't believe everything you think.