Yes, we have no hibernate today

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.com
Thu Jun 24 22:05:31 MDT 2010

On 06/24/2010 06:58 PM, Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Charles Curley wrote:

<SNIP>

Skip to: "TO HIBERNATE / SUSPEND" and only come back and
read the rest of this if you want to.  It is underlined
so it is easy to find.

The main thing that I have different is that my Ubuntu 10.04
is a CLEAN install and that I don't have an encrypted swap.
With 5 GB RAM, hibernation is about the only thing that would
use the swap.  I have five times more memory than I have swap
because I have learned the hard way that unlike Solaris, BSD,
and other 'nix systems Linux doesn't seem to use swap properly.

You have so many other things going on that it is hard to
isolate what is causing the problem.  I don't think it is
the encryption.

I NEVER upgrade Linux (any distro) because I have had *WAY*
too many problems TRYING to do that.  Most of you have never
had it so good as to work with AIX or Solaris where upgrades
are not only possible but are a matter of course.  For Linux
I don't use LVM but have a separate / and /home partitions
and cascade what I want coming back out into the new system
into a save area in /home and let the install recreate a
new / partition but leave the /home partition alone and install
fresh.  My accounts are moved thusly before the new install:

/home/hobbit  ---> /home/oldhobbit

If I can't preserve the /home (ext3 ---> ext4, et al) then I
write my $HOME and configs I want to preserve to a CD.  I don't
know that I am going to do now because Brasero on Ubuntu 10.04
does NOT WORK!  The world for CD writing software that works!
Nothing fancy - just creating and copying CDs is all I need.
That is too much to ask for.

I let it create ALL of the new GNOME files and other stuff
FRESH and propagate the stuff I need from the oldhobbit
account back into the new hobbit account.  Data files are
just moved over.  Things like .bashrc, .profile, etcetera
just have the settings I want recreated.  The changes that
take longest are to get rid of all those silly ls, egrep,
fgrep, grep and other commands giving me stupid colors.

What is the payoff?  I have a Hibernate option hanging off
of the Indicator Applet Session menu, and it works.  But if
you are mixing and matching an older version of Gnome config
files with a newer version of Gnome all kinds of things can
screw up.  I thought every Linux person did it my way.
I don't mean the / & /home duo - I mean the trashing of ALL
old windowing config files and recreation of new ones by
the new version of Gnume, KDE, et al. Most of the people
I know use either vtwm or twm, but the process is about the
same.

I guess I am wrong because some people are under the delusion
that Linux is upgradeable - IT AIN'T.  Been there, done that,
won't go that way again.  I have tried several Linux distros
and compared to Solaris or AIX you are infinitely better off
to just START FRESH.  Even there you are sometimes better
starting off fresh for the windows config files as well.

TO HIBERNATE / SUSPEND:
=======================
Now, I think the following options will allow you to get
hibernate to work.  Once you get it working I leave it to
you to decide whether ot use it or not - for me the quetion
is already answered and it is NOT, even for a laptop!

1.  Create a new account.  See if the Hibernate option shows
up hanging off of the Indicator Applet Session menu.  Mine does
not show a suspend.  That means it has either been done away
with or that is something optional you have to add some sort
of package to get it, but the binary is up in /usr/sbin.  If
this works, copying all of your data files from your ${HOME}
folder some place else (I use a 1777 /home/perm dir), deleting
the old account name from the new account name and recreating
the old account name and doing what I do (detailed previously)
may do the job of getting menu choices to show up right and
work.  So much changes from even one version to another of the
SAME Linux  distro that the only thing that is constant is
change.

2. If that doesn't work or you don't want to try it then these
are the actual binaries the menu was using to achieve it (the
first was what it used for me):

pm-hibernate
pm-suspend --help

There are lots of options and that was why I gave the man page,
especially for pm-suspend.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/pm-suspend.8.html

Type the following in a terminal window:

$ sudo pm-hibernate

When you power back up make sure you hit ^C in the terminal
window. Now, why don't I like it?  I AM NOT PROMPTED FOR A
LOGIN!  As far as I am concerned you can forget stuff like
you reading my RAM (theoretically possible but not very
practicable) or stuff stuck in /swap.  I am sorry, but I have
dd'd the stuff in swap and usually get NOTHING of value. Some
of you guys talk about it.  I actually do it and have modified
GRUB files with cat and hex editors to get them to work.  I
analyze malware and work at the binary level about 20% of the
time.  Before the next install I am going to attempt to dd the
swap full of zeros to see if that has any effect on the running
of Linux. I will bet it does NOTHING.  I am getting tired of
reading about it and seeing OpenSuse stick my OpenPGP keys
into the X-Windows system which is readable from the network
unless you do something to stop it.  Turning HISTORY off in
the BASH shell was good enough for me and with 5 GB RAM I
sincerely doubt the keystrokes I use for my OpenPGP key are
being compromised.

But the problem with both pm-suspend and pm-hibernate is that
they hand me the keys to the kingdom by just punching the power
button!  I do that and I am already logged in, no password
required.

I also see very little difference in the boot time as compared
to booting up fresh.  But given the fact that I have a screaming
fast SATA hard disk drive and you have a slower than molasses
on a cold January morning laptop hard disk drive there may be
a difference in boot speed.  I timed it and for myself the
time difference was not enough to make it worth my time. Most
of the time difference was due to me typing my password, which
way only done when I booted up fresh.

HHH
PS  After doing it I did do the following commands:

# dd bs=1048576 count=128 if=/dev/sda7 of=/tmp/SWAP
$ okteta /tmp/SWAP &

You can see lots of detail in there, but why look at that
when you are logged in when you boot up?  Most people will
be looking for your credit card data, contacts, etcetera
and it is all right there in front of you, free for the
taking if you lost your laptop.  I sure hope you encrypted
at least with the AES-128 cipher bundled with 7-Zip.