Yes, we have no hibernate today

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Jun 24 08:57:17 MDT 2010

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:49:18 -0600
Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

> I've just upgraded my four year old lenovo R51 laptop from Ubuntu
> Komic Koala to Ludicrous Lynx. In the process, the menu option to
> hibernate has gone away. It didn't work under Komic Koala, but this
> is not the solution I was expecting.
>
> How do I get it back so I can see if it works?

Hmmm, possibly the upgrade forgot to install a packaged called (wait
for it) "hibernate"?

I installed the package, and aptitude took the opportunity to get rid of
a lot of packages. I hope they were all old, obsolete packages. I guess
I will find out.

In the process of doing that, I got this message:

Setting up hibernate (1.99-1.1) ...

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-22-generic
cryptsetup: WARNING: found more than one resume device candidate:
                     /dev/mapper/cryptswap1
                     /dev/sda6
                     UUID=20dc692f-2a20-4799-83ec-e0fb6ac69d71
cryptsetup: WARNING: target cryptswap1 has a random key, skipped

Actually they are all the same device, but the software wouldn't
necessarily know that.

Still no menu entry, but I may have to log out and in again to get it
back.