Yes, we have no hibernate today

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Jun 23 12:39:08 MDT 2010

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:33:45 +0000
Henry Hertz Hobbit <hhhobbit at securemecca.com> wrote:

> On 06/22/2010 03:49 PM, Charles Curley wrote:
> > I've just upgraded my four year old lenovo R51 laptop from Ubuntu
> > Komic Koala to Ludicrous Lynx. In the process, the menu option to
> > hibernate has gone away. It didn't work under Komic Koala, but this
> > is not the solution I was expecting.
> >
> > How do I get it back so I can see if it works?
>
> Hmm, haven't all the hibernating creatures in the northern hemisphere
> come out of hibernation?  Seriously, it works for me but I am using
> not a laptop but a desktop machine with an MSI board, hardly something
> needing it.  I am still searching for whether it is in the Gnome
> config files but so far - blank.  I will let you know if I find it.
> It has to be there some place, but so far I have only looked at my
> files and it is probably in the sys files.  We are talking Gnome
> rather than KDE, correct?

Yes, Gnome.

My problem is I don't see a menu entry for it. There are some low level
tools to do the actual hibernation, but I suspect they may leave some
apps in a broken state; those apps must be notified first so they can
clean up their acts.

> All I want is for the screen saver to lock the screen when it starts
> while I am gone.  It does that.  It also handles my ASUS monitor which
> is why after not getting the res right I dumped 9.10 and went to
> 10.04 LTS.  In fact it does wonderful with everything except those
> PCI parallel boards which I am still fighting.  I also have the HP
> JetDirect card but I would like to find which filter works with the
> HP-LJ-4P printer first.

HP does a good job of supporting their printers; check on the
HPLIP project web page. I've compiled and installed the source more
than once because it did a better job than the packages.

If you want to put a question to the list, try a separate email with a
new subject. People who are ignoring this thread because they aren't
interested in it (or they dislike me or something :-) will miss your
question.