Virtual Machine routing On Ubuntu

Charles Curley charlescurley at
Tue Jun 22 09:06:51 MDT 2010

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 14:37:24 -0600
Charles Curley <charlescurley at> wrote:

> Grumble. I found out that while I can ping from one VM to another I
> can't ssh. I also need to use arbitrary ports above 1024.

OK, I found out what part of my problem is. In order for packets to
make the round trip from a VM to a physical machine on my network, I
have to add a route to those physical machines.

This meant adding statements to my DHCP configuration.

However, having done that for my gateway, I still can't access web
sites from a VM. I can get updates (yum, apt, etc.) but not regular web
access. This is not a requirement for the project at hand, but it irks