Printer & gnash vs. Flash

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.com
Mon Jun 14 00:45:04 MDT 2010

On 06/09/2010 07:52 PM, Richard Esplin wrote:
> Try hp-setup

> Enable the multiverse repository, and then run:
> flashplugin-installer
>
> Richard
>
> On Wednesday, June 09, 2010 13:43:19 Henry Hertz Hobbit <hhhobbit at securemecca.com> wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> TOPIC 1:  Getting HP LJ-4P printer to work:
> <snip>
>> TOPIC 2: flash versus gnash & swfdec on Ubuntu:
> <snip>

It fouls up the flash install on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.  IT DOES NOT WORK!
It creates the following folders links, and finally the actual file:

/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so --->
/etc/alternatives/firefox-flashplugin --->
/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so

You need to put the link into (I don't see the value of going to
the symlink in /etc but created it anyway):

/usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/

flashplugin-alternative.so --->
/etc/alternatives/firefox-flashplugin --->
/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so

If you ask me the firefox-addons folder is nice way to abstract
away the different versions each time firefox is updated.  I
don't know for sure if they created the firefox folder but
when I handled it myself I just created a symlink of
/usr/lib/firefox ---> /usr/lib/firefox-MAJOR.MINOR.SUB for
which ever one was installed.  IOW, I do not believe that the
/usr/lib/firefox folder was originally there.  The only thing
that was in it was the plugins folder, and the only thing that
was in that was this link.  /usr/bin/firefox is just a symlink
to ../lib/firefox-3.6.3/firefox.sh and probably gets changed
for each new version of firefox.  Since my /usr/lib/firefox was
just a symlink going to which version I wanted it automatically
got the right thing.  I actually installed and had two versions
side by side.  If the new one didn't work I would point it back
to the old one and wait for the next version. You are probably
better off just downloading the flash from Adobe and handling
it yourself because what I got via the Ubuntu install did not
work until I MANUALLY made the symlink.  The problem with going
that route is Ubuntu 10.04 is too new and is not listed.  I
don't know who did the foul up but this is NOT what I would
want to hand to a Linux newbie.  But I have read about it
being fouled up for years.  I expected it to have been
fixed by now.

Does anybody have a vanilla firefox install (read, no flash
added) without the firefox folder in 10.04?  A look at the date
stamps confirms my suspicion of what was done (and the flash
didn't work until I manually made that extra symlink in the
/usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/ folder):

$ cd /usr/lib
$ ls -l | grep firefox
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root     4096 2010-06-13 22:58 firefox
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root     4096 2010-04-29 12:22 firefox-3.6.3
drwxr-xr-x  5 root root     4096 2010-04-29 12:22 firefox-addons

I would like to blow away the entire /usr/lib/firefox folder
and create it as a symlink to /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.3 (and
update the symlink each time they update the browser) but
don't know if that also causes problems.  If anybody knows
more about it than me and sees my proposed way of handling
it causing problems let me know.

HHH
PS  I haven't had time to do anything about the printer.  I
    have been on Windows for days now, scanning all my new
    malware with Symantec NAV and SunBelt VIPRE.  NAV won't
    even let the file get created with 7za x, but VIPRE does.
    I have told SunBelt they should Quarantine only in the
    %ProgramFiles% and %WinDir% folders but they don't listen.
    There is a massive amount one or the other won't recognize.