[Krebs on Security] New Comment On: Using Windows for a Day Cost Mac User $100, 000

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Thu Jun 10 07:51:55 MDT 2010

On 10 Jun 2010, at 06:22, Aaron Toponce wrote:

> You weren't around during the '90s, were you? Microsoft has made massive
> strides in the areas of security, stability and reliability. It's just
> that the security scene is constantly evolving. Malware writers have to
> stay on their toes and be just as sharp as the top security experts in
> the field. In my opinion, it's gotten a _lot_ better.
>
> More people are likely aware of email scams than in the past.
> More people are likely aware of antivirus and antimalware software.
> More people are likely aware of phishing scams.
> More people are likely aware of encrypting personal data.
>
> In my opinion, times are much better than they were 20, 15, 10 and even
> 5 years ago.

More and more people are also still learning about computers and even the Internet.  I am surprised that I am still running into people that do not use a computer or the Internet.  Their numbers are dwindling rapidly but they are still out there.  I always know when someone has found the Internet when I start getting email forwards from them.  Forwards that I got 10 years ago.  This just shows that the statistics on security may be slightly skewed if not taking that into consideration.