Mac or Linux / Unix versus Windows

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Thu Jun 10 07:39:09 MDT 2010

On 10 Jun 2010, at 00:12, Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:

> On 06/10/2010 03:08 AM, Michael Torrie wrote:
>> On 06/09/2010 08:44 PM, Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:
>>> WE HAVE TO GET PEOPLE OFF OF MICROSOFT WINDOWS ONTO LINUX AND
>>> MACINTOSH!  If somebody wants me to give a run-down on how bad
>>> it is in your monthly meetings let me know and I will oblige.
>>> I usually go through 6-12 Windows malware samples per day.
>>
>> We all love Linux and Mac around here, but reports lately are that OS X
>> apps are just as vulnerable or more so than Windows apps, though things
>> typically run as a non-root user.  What makes you think Mac or Linux
>> will be any better for the majority of users?  Social engineering is
>> platform agnostic, and that's what a lot of (most?) malware exploits
>> these days. I'm just being the Devil's advocate here.
>>

> Pre-PS:  Unless you are interested in security, tap / click the
> delete button.  Richard Stallman doesn't use a normal browser or
> email program and no - I won't tell you what he uses.  Now you
> know why I said tap.

Well said!  Thanks for the security reminder.  I am the security nut in my family and at work.  Nobody likes the passwords I make for them.  But I could always be even more secure.  As could we all.

Your message also reminded me why I am still so adamant about despising HTML email.  As handy as HTML is in email, it is too handy.  Like giving a hand grenade to a toddler.  It is only a matter of time until they pull the pin.