Printer & gnash vs. Flash

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.com
Wed Jun 9 13:43:19 MDT 2010

All:

TOPIC 1:  Getting HP LJ-4P printer to work:
I have two machines, one set up with Ubuntu 10.04 and the other
with OpenSuse 11.2.  I could not get either one of them to print
to a HP-LJ-4P printer on either the USB ---> Parallel or using
the Jet-Direct card.  The Jet-Direct card isn't the issue you
think it is.  I was able to permanently set it up in the router
for it to pick up the MY-NET.101 IP address and also to put the
MAC address into the /etc/ethers file.  I can ping it and more
to the point could telnet into it.  The problem was picking the
right filter and protocol on OpenSuse.  Why do we have one dozen
plus filters for a printer?  I am pretty sure the ancient
JetDirect precedes IPP but it would be nice to just find which
filter works first.

So I ordered two MosChip MCS-9865 parallel cards from NewEgg.
I can print just fine with either the USB ---> Parallel or
using the parallel cards on Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro.
The cards work. Now I can't get their code I downloaded to
build.  Here are the results of doing the make (I tried first
on Ubuntu but with it having GRUB 2.x and me getting lots of
compile errors I just gave up) on OpenSuse:

http://www.SecureMecca.com/MosChip/

The files were created on OpenSuse with:

# make > Log.txt 2> Err.txt
# make > Both.txt 2>&1

Noticing that there was no build folder I manually created it,
Then I typed:

# make > HasBuildLog.txt 2> HasBuildErr.txt

following their instructions to the TEE.  I am pretty sure you
are not supposed to create the build folder manually but with
all the errors I got on Ubuntu I thought I should start with
OpenSuse first.  I have included the download in the folder
with the extracted PDF file.

TOPIC 2: flash versus gnash & swfdec on Ubuntu:
As an independent security analyst I first think Ubuntu's fear
of not having su and trying to do everything the sudo way is
dumb.  I sudo a root xterm and let it hang around.  If they are
so concerned about security they need to really think twice
about where ${HOME}/bin is supposed to be (search for "SUDO
WON'T DO" if it doesn't come up) in the ${PATH}:

http://SecureMecca.BlogSpot.com/

I am even reminded I should not have the root xterm when I fire
up wireshark, but how am I going to capture without having root
privs?  If you ask me they are afraid of their machines.  But on
to this issue, on OpenSuse I had no choice - I got gnash & swfdec
whether I wanted them or not.  There are problems with that
approach.  Lots of web-sites won't function because they use
Adobe's flawed version checker code.  What is the current
philosophy of what should be done with Ubuntu?  Software Center
comes up with choices of only gnash and swfdec.  If there is
an experienced Ubuntu user let me know.  I am coming from a
background of using primarily RedHat, RHEL, and Fedora but when
10, 11, and 12 could not detect my monitor I had no choice.  I
had to switch to something else.  The funny thing is that
Fedora 3 did detect my monitor.  After seeing them argue with
over 1000 messages about being prompted or not for an admin
password to install software I gave up.  I don't know where
they are going but I don't want to go there.  When Fedora 3 could
detect my old monitor (now dead) and versions 10, 11, and 12
couldn't they are going in the wrong direction.

Sorry for being so long-winded

Henry Hertz Hobbit
(legal name  David Alexander Harvey)
PS  I kept getting redirected to web pages by WireShark when
    I started it as me, but could not find a way of elevating
    the privileges to do a capture with the new version.  Just
    starting it with "wireshark &" in the root xterm got rid
    of the problem.