Caching DNS server

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Mon Jun 7 14:26:08 MDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Byron Clark <byron at theclarkfamily.name> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Joe C <v2joecr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need to do this for a company that moves websites from one host to
>> another. They normally would edit the hosts file on the computer, but
>> that isn't compatible with installing squid on to their pfSense box.
>> The only solution I could think of was to make a caching DNS server &
>> make a web interface to allow them to change records, but since we
>> want to block access to certain domains, AKA porn we will need a way
>> to prevent people from using it to bypass security to browse porn. I
>> would also like to be able to undo the changes either after a period
>> of time or by clicking on a hyperlink. I will also want the system to
>> record who made the change(s) & when they made the change(s) to DNS
>> for a domain.
>
> You may want to take a look at dnsmasq
> (http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html), specifically the
> --addn-hosts option.

Maybe should check out ClearOS.  I don't know if it's what you're
looking for, but it does a lot of what pfSense does and includes
dnsmasq, squid, dansguardian already installed and working with a nice
web interface.  If you wanted to tweak the gui, it should be pretty
easy for a PHP guy (I hear the code is very clean and well laid out).

Whatever you do, good luck.

Gabe