mac vs linux - special chars in filenames

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 22:12:18 MDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Stephen Ward <sjward at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now here's the problem.  When I sync again later, rsync deletes all of the
> files and folders that contained special characters in the filename and
> re-downloads them.  It's as though at some level, rsync doesn't see my local
> filenames as matching the remote ones, even though it was rsync that created
> the local filenames in the first place.

http://www.samba.org/rsync/FAQ.html

Basically, it sounds like you're using UTF-8, which uses multi-byte
sequences for some characters.  Unfortunately, there are different
multi-byte sequences that can appear as the same character, so
somewhere along the line the sequence in your filenames got changed.
A byte-comparison shows them to be different even though they look the
same.  In this case, it looks like the solution is adding
--iconv=UTF-8,UTF8-MAC to your rsync command.

        --Levi