Rchard Stallman vs Darl McBride

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Wed Jul 21 08:16:11 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 00:09 -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> At work we have a wireshark plugin for an in-house protocol that we
> don't distribute.  We also developed a couple of decoders for
> protocols we're helping to develop through IEEE, and we submitted
> those back upstream.  You can find me in the AUTHORS file, though it
> may not be in a stable release version yet.  Sometimes it's useful to
> have our in-house protocol and the IEEE draft protocols in the same
> build, but we've got to be careful not to distribute those builds when
> we're sending out builds with the draft protocol updates to people
> we're working with.  It's a minor annoyance, but annoying nonetheless.

Two things:

(1) When you consider how much work has gone into Wireshark, and the
fact that you didn't pay a dime for it, whining about managing a plugin
is petty.

(2) Consider how the situation would be different if you had used a
proprietary product instead. You probably still wouldn't choose to
distribute your secret sauce plugin. Assuming you could share the tool
the same way you are with Wireshark, which you probably couldn't.

In other words, you'd be in the same or an even more awkward position.

Sounds to me like RMS is annoying ergo you must find any excuse to
attack the GPL.