Rchard Stallman vs Darl McBride

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 23:36:30 MDT 2010

On 07/20/2010 08:34 PM, Jon Jensen wrote:
> There is nothing in the GPL that says you must distribute any code you
> write that is derivative of GPL'd code, if you don't distribute it.
>
> If you distribute code derivative of GPL'd code, then it must be licensed
> under the GPL. But you don't have to distribute it.
>
> For example, a company can make internal modifications to Linux and is
> under no obligation to distribute them or tell anyone anywhere about it. I
> believe internal copying within a company is not considered distribution
> under copyright law due to the idea of corporate personhood.

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up, so I'll mention it.

Google keeps an internal proprietary derivative of Ubuntu on their
employee workstations. They have never released this "Goobuntu" to the
wild, and as such are under no obligation to release their changes. Even
if the code is GPL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .