Apache Concurrent users

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Tue Jul 20 08:15:35 MDT 2010

  Thara wrote:
> Guys,
> how do i check my concurrent users logging on my webserver? can you give me some tips on how to tweak my apache to accomodate 500 concurrent users, I'm using centos 5.0 and apache 2.0 for webserver. tnx

Hi,

 From my understanding, Apache has no concept of users or sessions.
These are handled by higher level modules, such as PHP, Perl, Python,
Ruby, etc.  So the follow up question would be, what module are you
using for user sessions?

 From the Apache viewpoint, connections are what are important.  This
quick command will tell you how many concurrent connections you
currently have (a user/host may have more than one):
     netstat -ant | grep ESTABLISHED | grep :80 | wc -

The following Apache module provides all sorts of useful Apache statistics.
     http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_status.html

Statistics include:

    * The number of worker serving requests
    * The number of idle worker
    * The status of each worker, the number of requests that worker has
      performed and the total number of bytes served by the worker (*)
    * A total number of accesses and byte count served (*)
    * The time the server was started/restarted and the time it has been
      running for
    * Averages giving the number of requests per second, the number of
      bytes served per second and the average number of bytes per
      request (*)
    * The current percentage CPU used by each worker and in total by
      Apache (*)
    * The current hosts and requests being processed (*)

Kenneth