Grub 18 Error

Eric Wald eswald at brainshell.org
Mon Jul 19 09:29:44 MDT 2010

John Li wrote:
> Experts, I've run into the BIOS cylinder limit that leads to Error in
> Grub 18. I've already used many system rescue cd for linux and booting
> also to live CDs but no luck to all of those things. The livecd could
> not mount the harddrive due to error in blocks. Any alternative
> solution to this problem. Tnx.

superuser.com suggests that the Super Grub rescue CD might help:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

If you can afford to lose everything on the disk, a reformat is probably
your best bet.  You can probably avoid the cylinder limit by reserving a
tiny /boot partition as the first portion of the disk.

If you need to recover your data, and absolutely nothing can mount your
hard drive as is, you might have to use dd to copy the whole thing to a
single file, and fiddle with that until you can mount it through a
virtual file system or loopback device.

- Eric