Rchard Stallman vs Darl McBride

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Jul 17 15:39:25 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 16:03 -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> My experience has been different.  More than a decade ago, Eric
> Raymond's papers convinced me to try something beyond Windows/Mac and
> take a serious look at Linux.  I had to be convinced that free software
> and the people behind it were worth my time.  Raymond's perspective made
> sense to me; Stallman's did not.
>
> So I think Raymond's writings were very valuable for inviting new people
> like me into the existing hacker culture.  Consider yourself lucky that
> you were already part of that culture.

Both ESR and RMS played important parts in informing my software
politics. But it bugs me that both act like they represent me and
everyone else in "the community" (whatever that means). I hope I don't
sound too conceited when I say I've outgrown them. Both have played
valuable roles, but their propaganda is too narrow. It hints and
reality, but does not describe it.

Bottom line: I respect both of them, but ESR does not represent me and
neither does RMS.

--
Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org>