Rchard Stallman vs Darl McBride

Roger Brown downtownrogbrown at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 11:43:57 MDT 2010

Hi, haven't read the list email too much -- but would like to come to
a meeting sometime.

I just wanted to chime in with an amen on this comment. :)

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:
> ...  The only
> reason BSD didn't take the popularity surge that Linux did was a small
> and short-lived licensing issue that existed right at the cusp of
> things.

I agree, if it wasn't for the AT&T lawsuit we would probably all be
running some BSD flavor today.

I started out with the original iServer using BSD/OS and FreeBSD back
in the day.  I remember when Microsoft first bought Hotmail.com how
for a couple of years they ran it on FreeBSD because they couldn't get
it to run on Windows. :)
Yahoo used to be all FreeBSD but now it looks like only my.yahoo.com
is using it. (http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?host=yahoo.com )
And Microsoft at some point in the 90's copied code from FreeBSD for
their TCP/IP stack since the Microsoft one was sucky.

Anyway, I wish that more people were aware of or remembered to give
proper credit to the BSD core upon which the Internet was built.
FreeBSD used to power practically all of the high traffic websites
back in the 90's.

But I know this is a Linux Group and Ubuntu Linux is now my main
desktop os.  :)  Just trying to give credit where credit is due.

Thanks to those that maintain this list.  Lots of good discussion,

Roger Brown