Darl McBride [Was Re: July Meeting Ideas?]

Topher Fischer javert42 at cs.byu.edu
Thu Jul 15 12:21:35 MDT 2010

Everything that I know about Darl concerns what he did as a CEO. Since I
don't know the ins and outs out SCO, nor do I know what Darl's
intentions were, I really can't comment on whether his actions were
intended to be in the best interest of his stock holders or not.

On the other hand, I'm somewhat baffled by this comment:

On 07/15/2010 02:34 AM, Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:
> 1. He contends I pay him $800 for each copy of Linux I am using?
> Currently I have two, but that isn't the point.  Here is the
> current pricing for Windows 7:
>
> http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102
>
> Is he on the same planet the rest of us are on?  Even the top
> price for Windows 7 Ultimate (the only thing I would consider
> since adding French and Spanish support which you can hot swap
> to as necessary is added for a trifling extra $20) is only $320.
> $800 for Linux versus $320 for the latest and greatest Microsoft
> desktop offering?  WHICH PLANET IS HE FROM?  PLUTO!?  I am
> sorry, but Pluto is no longer classified as a planet by
> astronomers.

This comment appears to suggest that the value of Linux is approximately
equal to that of a Windows desktop OS. Personally, I think the comment
implies that Windows has a greater value than Linux.  If that were true,
I wouldn't be using Fedora as my desktop. $320 is a trifle for something
that I rely on for at least 8 hours a day.

Of course, I've also heard that Linux can be used for server
applications. Compare $800 to the $3,000 dollars that you can spend on
enterprise level HP-UX software, and it seems like the good people of
SCO were being quite reasonable.

Still, the $800 was probably the cost of a license for just the Linux
kernel. I can't really think of a good comparison for that, so this
email is pretty much useless. Are you really still wasting your time
reading this? I'm surprised that you don't already have a procmail rule
that sends my drivel off to /dev/null.

--Topher