PLUG Meetings [was previously a few other threads]

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 11:19:59 MDT 2010

> On Thu, July 15, 2010 10:53, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
>> I need some help securing interesting local presenters. If we can get one
>> every month, then I will schedule other "special interest" meetings on a
>> different day. Would anyone like to nominate/volunteer someone to take on the
>> role of PLUG Officer, who's chief role will be to fill the second Wednesday of
>> every month with a local technical presenter? This is one of those positions
>> where by doing it, you become in charge of it by default. Where is Jayce^ when
>> you need his magic ninja Vulcan mind-meld brain twist to make someone do
>> something without them knowing it? I'm more direct. I nominate Levi. ;-)

I'm afraid I'll have to decline the nomination, as I'd be absolutely
terrible at it.  I have a hard enough time getting myself to do
things, much less asking other people to do them.  If you want PLUG to
die a quiet, ignominious death, by all means put me in charge of
getting presenters.  Anyone who remembers my brief tenure as BYU UUG
president will no doubt agree.  ;)

I don't really have a big problem with non-technical speakers that are
only tangentially related to Linux, but getting Darl McBride to speak
just seems silly, and although RMS seems like a better fit, I wouldn't
come to hear him.  But I haven't been to a meeting in several months,
so my opinion is just that.  Feel free to do what you think is best,
since you've got the reins.  For what it's worth, I think you've done
a great job of getting presenters so far, and I appreciate your
efforts.

        --Levi