Rchard Stallman vs Darl McBride

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.com
Thu Jul 15 03:25:01 MDT 2010

On 07/14/2010 04:21 PM, Levi Pearson wrote:

<SNIP>

> Seriously guys, this is a USERS group.  Neither McBride nor Stallman
> would have anything useful to say about USING Linux.  One of them is
> out to make a buck, and happened to end up on the wrong side of a
> lawsuit.  The other is the leader of a social/political movement, and
> seems to be only really interested in advocating that movement.

Have you had any personal interaction with Richard?  I have and
you are very wrong.  He single-handedly created the entire
movement that if it has not been done there would be no Linux for
you to use.  He also created the EMACS text editor. He also uses
Linux.  I joked to him that I would make sure that I would give
him /usr/bin/emacs for his shell.  You may disagree with his
politics but without the FSF and the Gnu Public License (GPL) you
would have no Linux OS to use.  You would also not have GnuPG which
is the free side of OpenPGP encryption that is on all Linux systems.
>From the looks of it some distros are using GnuPG instead of SSL
certs now to make sure your downloads for the updates to your OS
are legitimate. I would say Stallman is front and center behind
the movement that gives you the Linux OS that you are using.

The only importance Darl McBride has for me is as an example of
how not to live your life by making an illegitimate and
unethical money grab.  In the past I was neutral about him.
The more I learn about him the less I like him.  He may be
personable enough but he strikes me as both dumb and selfish.