Darl McBride [Was Re: July Meeting Ideas?]

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 11:25:56 MDT 2010

On 07/14/2010 10:21 AM, Levi Pearson wrote:
> Seriously guys, this is a USERS group.  Neither McBride nor Stallman
> would have anything useful to say about USING Linux.  One of them is
> out to make a buck, and happened to end up on the wrong side of a
> lawsuit.  The other is the leader of a social/political movement, and
> seems to be only really interested in advocating that movement.
>
> I'd much rather hear from some local guy who does something useful
> with Linux and would like to share, even if the presentation isn't
> polished, than some well-known person who doesn't actually talk about
> the practice of using Linux to do something useful or interesting.
> Users groups are supposed to be about local people helping each other
> out with technical stuff.  Lawsuits, advocacy, and freedom movements
> are just fodder for discussion on the list when no useful topics are
> handy. :)

I have more interests than learning how to configure lighttpd and using
iptables and selinux to secure it, how to merge git branches, or how to
write a Django powered website. There's more to a users group than just
howtos. Discussion forums are appropriate, imnsho. Besides, Darl is
local, isn't he?

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O