Darl McBride [Was Re: July Meeting Ideas?]

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 10:21:28 MDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 09:29 AM, Grant Robinson wrote:
>> Ryan, if you really want to invite Darl to a meeting, and Stuart and
>> the Hobbit promise to be civil (hey, that was a joke. :)), I can get
>> you in touch with him.  Just let me know.
>
> /IF/ Ryan et al is serious about contacting Mr. McBride for a
> presentation, Q&A, or whatever, then why not invite the LUGs state-wide
> to attend the event? PLUG, UUG, SLLUG, OALUG, etc. While Darl might be
> on the other side of the fight than most of us, wouldn't we make it a
> state-wide event if Richard Stallman were invited to address a meeting?

Seriously guys, this is a USERS group.  Neither McBride nor Stallman
would have anything useful to say about USING Linux.  One of them is
out to make a buck, and happened to end up on the wrong side of a
lawsuit.  The other is the leader of a social/political movement, and
seems to be only really interested in advocating that movement.

I'd much rather hear from some local guy who does something useful
with Linux and would like to share, even if the presentation isn't
polished, than some well-known person who doesn't actually talk about
the practice of using Linux to do something useful or interesting.
Users groups are supposed to be about local people helping each other
out with technical stuff.  Lawsuits, advocacy, and freedom movements
are just fodder for discussion on the list when no useful topics are
handy. :)

        --Levi