Darl McBride [Was Re: July Meeting Ideas?]

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Wed Jul 14 09:29:27 MDT 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 7:50 PM, Stuart Jansen wrote:

> I attended several of the hearings. Except for the first hearing, the
> people who attended were curious and courteous, not hostile. After a
> couple of the hearings, Darl talked to people out in the halls. As a
> result meeting him in person, I have a strong opinion of his
> capability
> and motivation.

What I'm about to say probably won't make me the most popular person,
but I can live with that. :)  I actually know Darl McBride, and have
worked with him, and I have no doubts that he is very capable.  It is
also interesting to me that after more than 7 years after the SCO
lawsuit was filed, people are still vilifying Darl McBride.  If
anything, everyone on this list should be sending Darl a thank-you
card.  The lawsuit from SCO galvanized and united the "Linux movement"
like nothing else could have, and rather than hurting Linux, it has
thrived and grown.  So, its probably time to stop sniveling, whining,
defaming, and all the other fun past-times enjoyed by Linux users
worldwide since the SCO lawsuit was filed in 2003. :)

I said the above somewhat tongue-in-cheek, so don't get offended.  It
was fun while it lasted, but seriously, its time to move on.

Ryan, if you really want to invite Darl to a meeting, and Stuart and
the Hobbit promise to be civil (hey, that was a joke. :)), I can get
you in touch with him.  Just let me know.

Grant