Darl McBride [Was Re: July Meeting Ideas?]

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.com
Tue Jul 13 19:15:55 MDT 2010

I don't think he wants to talk to anybody:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darl_McBride

" ... prompting him to carry a firearm and to employ multiple
bodyguards."

Everything I read leads me to conclude McBride ardently believes
Linux has SVSV code in it.  I think he has conned himself into
believing that until his dying day.  Do you really want to hear
that drivel?  I DON'T!  Personally, I wonder just how technically
literate he is with an undergraduate degree in Sociology and
a graduate degree in Industrial Relations.

I am not coming to the July meeting.  It is too hot to do
anything and August may be the same.  Happy sipping.  I will
sip at home and study here.

-------- IF YOU GO BEYOND HERE DO NOT COMPLAIN! --------
(hint, hint, tap the delete button now)

I think McBride probably cannot talk about anything because of
all the existing non-disclosure agreements he had to sign.
Never mind the fact that he thought they were created for his
subordinates, never believing he would get the ax.  I am pretty
sure the restructuring team gave him about as good a severance
as he could hope to get but part of that is that he should NOT
talk.  At this point I wonder if SCO can even continue at all.
What do they have to restructure and build on?  IMHO, their
suit of Linux vendors was the only gambit they had left to
turn around a gradual decline into obscurity.  I may be wrong
because McBride purchased the SCO Mobility intellectual
property just a few months ago for $100,000.  Is it something
that is going to lead to a law-suit with Apple over iPhone
using what he provides?

To me it is a non-issue.  It is sort of like somebody arguing
that my ssort.c program which uses a modified heap-sort has to
belong to J.R.J. Williams because he is the one that created
the original heap-sort. Never mind the fact I eliminated the
subordinate functions and rolled everything into just one
function to get about the same speed as the quick-sort with
none of the performance degradation because most of the data I
work with is already in nearly sorted order.  Writing code
reminds me of musicians who all use the same chords.  You may
as well argue that various Hip-Hop artists music belongs to
Mozart because they use some of his chords.  When you need to
write a loop to do something you need a loop and that is all
there is to it.  Does that mean the for loop and while loop
concepts belong to SCO?  Evidently both a judge and then a
jury agreed with that idea despite the fact most of them have
not worked with hundreds of LOC. They came to the exact same
conclusion - SCO doesn't own Unix copyrights nor is the code
a blatant grab and copy of SYSV code.

So let them appeal and request new trials until hell freezes
over.  If you had asked me 3-5 years ago I would have told
you it was over then.  Finisez!