Darl McBride [Was Re: July Meeting Ideas?]

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Tue Jul 13 17:36:08 MDT 2010

On Tue, July 13, 2010 16:15, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 04:15 PM, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
>> Does anyone know how to contact Darl McBride? I'd like to see about inviting
>> him for a (CIVIL!) discussion covering a SCO postmortem, Me inc, as well as
>> what he sees for the future. If anyone can pass my contact information to
>> him,
>> I would appreciate it.
>
> http://goo.gl/5pKi
>
> May or may not be him. Worth giving a shot. :)

If someone called me up at my home number that I did not know, and asked me to
speak at some specialized interest group that at first glance might seem
hostile, I might consider that rude. Is that just me?

What do you guys think about inviting him to a meeting on his own terms?
Whatever he feels comfortable talking about. Darl has had a unique and lasting
impact on the Linux, Unix, and Open Source industries. I'd be happy to invite
him to discuss whatever he feels comfortable talking about, and ensure we all
remain civil and listen. He doesn't even need to answer any questions. There
was and still is a relationship between SCO, Darl, Linux, and the FOSS
community. I think we need to believe in our community ideals. Allowing
everyone a chance to speak in a civil tone, even if many of us might find what
is said controversial, is a key tenant of making any community work.

I believe Darl deserves a chance to address the FOSS community in a
non-hostile setting. Having him address his fellow Utahns in the Provo Linux
group, in the heart of the old Novell campus, the same campus where Linus
Torvalds had his first experience in the US... Would be uniquely historical.
The connections between Darl, the people, and this physical place are
intriguing.

Does anyone out there know him well enough to send him a note? Or know someone
that knows him? He probably would say no, but I think he deserves an
invitation regardless.

-Ryan