usb camera configuration

Brett Rasmussen brett.rasmussen at twoedge.com
Tue Jul 13 15:24:18 MDT 2010

Well, it seems to be working with f-spot.  It's transferring the files now.

It's a little weird because it shows up in my KDE System Settings under the
"Advanced > Digital Camera" area, but that area doesn't actually provide a
way to get at the images.  I'm guessing this is a KDE thing (correct me if
I'm wrong), but it creates an ioslave (and I must admit I don't really know
what an ioslave is) at "camera:/" that you can access from konqueror or
dolphin.  But when I go there in either app, the camera shows up but
clicking on it yields no images, just something resembling an empty
directory.

Why would f-spot be able to read it when the KDE system couldn't, even
though it sees the device?  Is that a driver issue?

Also, from Levi's comment I guess I'm just learning that all usb cameras
aren't set up to act like usb storage devices that you can just mount on the
filesystem.  So that means that "digital camera" can be a separate category
of device that you need individual drivers for, versus "usb storage device",
but not always?  Am I understanding this right?

For Scott's question, here's the lsusb:

[brett at grox:~]$ lsusb
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c505 Logitech, Inc. Cordless Mouse+Keyboard
Receiver
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 006: ID 04cb:01fc Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Thanks,
Brett