usb camera configuration

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 13:37:37 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Brett Rasmussen
<brett.rasmussen at twoedge.com> wrote:
> All,
> I've never hooked up a camera before, but I figured it would be just like
> other usb storage devices which I've just plugged in and looked in dmesg for
> a device file which I would then mount.  That's not working this time.
>
> I have a Fujifilm Finepix J38, and when I plug it into my Kubuntu 9.10
> machine, here's what shows up in dmesg:
>
> [5786177.644071] usb 5-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and
> address 2
> [5786177.811300] usb 5-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>
> No device file.
>
> What am I missing here?

Your camera is apparently not configured to show up as a USB mass
storage device.  The manual doesn't show any way to configure it to do
so, either.  My advice is to see if a photo viewer has camera-specific
support for it like Joseph says, or get a USB SD card reader and swap
your card into that to get the pictures out.  The latter has the added
benefit of not drawing down your camera battery while you're uploading
pictures.

        --Levi